Friday, April 20, 2012

Sourdough and Beyond

Two lucky students went home with new pets today...we have finished our Westward Expansion unit and I offered up a bag of starter to any family interested. Two parents sent in notes saying they'd like to give it a try at home, so at lunchtime I poured a cup of starter into two ziplocs and sent them home at the end of the day along with care and feeding directions and copies of the recipes we made. Colleen took a bagful, and I brought home the rest.


This weekend I am planning on trying out the pancake recipe (with blueberries added!) and then baking sourdough bread until the starter's all used up. Bread freezes well, right?


The school year is zooming to a close, but there's still time for one more theme unit. I am blessed with flexibility in choosing much of the content and how I teach it. I had planned to finish the year off with a science unit that hones in on the issue of sustainability. Aren't I lucky to have found the Nourish curriculum? From its website: Nourish is an educational initiative designed to open a meaningful conversation about food and sustainability, particularly in schools and communities.


Perfect.


First, vacation week. Enjoy the sunshine, wherever you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment